Persoglia Stefano (1848 - 1900)
On 8 February 1848 Stefano Persoglia was born in Lucinico. Not only his native town, but the various places where he would have stayed would have been culturally enriched thanks to his activity and his presence.
After attending the gymnasium in Gorizia, where he finished his studies in 1868, Persoglia enrolled at the University of Vienna. There he had the opportunity to expand his musical training. He had been passionate about music since his adolescence, in fact, as a very young organist in the church of San Giorgio. After a period of musical studies in Trieste, he took the German language chair at the Gymnasium of Koper. Here he organized an orchestra and a choral society, transmitting his love for music to his students. "Where Persoglia was, one played and sang", his biographers remember. The same enthusiasm in animating the Philharmonic and in organizing musical events of every kind he showed during his years as a teacher at the Gymnasium of Rovereto and at the Women's Magistral Institute of Trento. His musical production is very large, to which he dedicated all his free time from teaching. The best known work, however, is not an original composition, but the collection entitled Eco del Friuli. Cinquanta villotte (Friulian folk songs) for song and piano published in 1892, on the occasion of the centenary of Zorutti's birth. This is a collection of melodies and verses found in eastern Friuli (mainly in Mossa, Capriva and Mariano), published under the pseudonym Coronato Pargolesi, a name obtained by combining the Italian translation of the Greek name Stefano and the anagram of the surname: it is the first printed musical collection of Friulian villotte, a precious testimony of the popular music of our lands, even if adapted for use in the bourgeoisie. Lucinico, who was then an autonomous municipality, conferred honorary citizenship to Persoglia on 10th April 1899. A little more than a year later, on 4th November 1900, the musician died suddenly in Trento of pneumonia. A street in Lucinico, right near the church where he had played as a boy, bears his name.